Frequently check County Executive Press Releases for further updates on county roads, closures, outages, etc.
UPDATE: 2011.09.08 - From District 1 Councilwoman Mary Lehman
More Street Closings in Prince George's
Please share with family, friends and neighbors around Prince George's.
Close to home, note U.S. 1 flooding. ... Will get you updated information as soon as possible. Stay safe! Thanks, Mary A. Lehman, Councilwoman, District 1 ...
Note: County Administration Building is closed today due to severe flooding in Upper Marlboro. ===
By my personal observation today, you can add to this list that as of 3 pm Wednesday, Sep 7, 2011, Sunnyside Ave was closed at Rt.201 (Edmonston Rd) in Beltsville, MD.
MEDIA ADVISORYFor immediate release: September 7, 2011 (as of 4:44 PM) For more information, contact: Scott L. Peterson Acting Director of Communications Office of Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III (240) 619-9400
Prince George’s County Road Dangers Due to Rain/Flooding
County currently has 10 County roads and additional State roads closed, warning of potential slow evening commuteUpper Marlboro, MD – Due to the recent rain from Tropical Depression Lee, Prince George’s County is reporting 10 County roads closed, delayed rail service, as well as accidents and high water along State roads this afternoon. Residents and motorists travelling through the County are advised to be alert and tune to weather and traffic reports for the latest updates on road conditions. Residents are also advised to not drive through any deep water on roads. Residents should call the Prince George’s County Department of Public Works and Transportation (DPW&T) automated customer service line at 301-499-8520 to report any roads that are flooded and/or impassable.
The Maryland Transportation Authority has announced that due to the extensive amount of rainfall, CSX and Amtrak are experiencing flash flood conditions which could affect afternoon MARC service.
The Prince George’s County Department of Public Works & Transportation is reporting the following County roads closed currently. This list does not include roadways where high water warning signs have been placed.
· Governor Bridge Road
· Brock Bridge Road
· Contee Road @ Mayfair Drive
· Van Dusen Road @ Old Gunpowder Road
· *Rosaryville Road @ Woodyard Road
· *Sweitzer Lane @ Van Dusen Road
· *Aragona Trail
· *Riverview Road
· *Fortside Drive
· *Fort Foote Road
*Crews will be checking the roads and may be able to re-open if the heavy rain subsides and the water recedes.
Currently, the State Highway Administration is reporting the following accidents and high water areas:
· Injury Accident, I-95 Southbound at the I-495 Split, Prince George's Co: Overturned tractor trailer on the flyover ramp from I-95 Southbound to the Inner Loop to College Park/US-1. One lane of two remains blocked as incident cleanup continues. Delays begin before MD-212, approximately 5.5 miles.
· Vehicle Accident, US-50 WB past US-301, Prince George’s Co. All travel lanes are now open. Delays have dissipated. Be advised, two right lanes remain closed for high water at this location.
· High Water, US-1 at Ritz Way, Prince George’s Co. All lanes remain blocked in both directions.
· High Water, US-1 at Assateague Drive, Howard Co. All lanes are blocked in both directions.
· High Water, I-95/495 NB (Outer Loop) at US-50, Prince George’s Co. High water still partially blocks the ramp from the Outer Loop to US-50 Eastbound. Traffic remains slow to exit at this location.
· High Water, US-29 between MD-32 and MD-175, Howard Co. Stretches of US-29 are still blocked in this area, northbound near Old Columbia Road and southbound near MD-175.
· High Water, US-50/MD-201 DC-295 Interchange, Prince George’s Co. Reports of high water blocking lanes on both sides of US-50 between MD-201 and MD-202. Westbound delays begin at MD-202.
· High Water, Water Street in Upper Marlboro, Prince George’s County. Both lanes are closed.
· High Water, MD Route 725 @ the bridge project, Prince George’s County. Lanes are closed.
· High Water, Croom Road @ Frederick Douglas High School, Prince George’s County. Lanes are closed.