For Immediate Release:
July 16, 2012
For Immediate Contact:
Rhonda D. Jackson, Division Manager, Public Information & Inter-Governmental Relations
Prince George’s County Office of Homeland Security/Office of Emergency Management
Prince George’s County Cooling Center Locations
(July 16 thru July 20, 2012)
Residents are encouraged to utilize centers during temperatures in excess of 90°s.
Upper Marlboro, MD – The National Weather Service continues to issue extreme heat and humidity conditions for Prince George’s County and surrounding jurisdictions. We are continuously reminding citizens that extreme heat can be dangerous and even deadly. Please be vigilant by checking on neighbors, especially the elderly and those who have special needs to ensure they do not fall victim to the heat.
The following cooling centers will be available to seniors and residents to offer air-conditioned refuge.
Cooling Center for Senior Citizens from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.:
· Camp Springs Senior Activity Center, 6420 Allentown Road, Camp Springs, MD
Cooling Centers open for the General Public at the following County locations and hours:
from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
· Rollingcrest-Chillum Community Center, 6120 Sargent Road, Chillum
· Hillcrest Heights Community Center, 2300 Oxon Run Drive, Temple Hills
· Oakcrest Community Center, 1300 Capitol Heights Boulevard, Capitol Heights
· Fairland Sports and Aquatics Center, 13820 and 13950 Old Gunpowder Road, Laurel
· Palmer Park Community Center, 7720 Barlowe Road, Landover
County residents should also be mindful of their neighborhood Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission’s recreational facilities and utilize libraries, shopping centers and malls to keep cool. For additional information, please contact the Prince George’s County Office of Emergency Management at 301-780-8313.